Saturday, February 8, 2014

My Small Bathroom Makeover

I last left you with the promise that I would share how I used crates to make shelves for one of our bathrooms. So here it is, our bathroom remodel, in which we brought character to a small and very plain space. 

To understand how plain, generic, and just all around blah this bathroom was to begin with, I give you the before pictures: 

Blah. 
More blah. 

As you can see, the walls were a drab gray and the cabinets were a builder grade oak. 
What you can't see is that the toilet paper holder had broken and fallen off, there was no hardware on the cabinets, and no towel rack. This bathroom badly needed a makeover. 

We painted. We stained. We installed. 
And in the end we had this...
And this...

Better, right? I think so. It's so much more interesting now! 

We began by painting over the drab gray and repainting the base boards. Then we used stone backsplash tiles to line the mirror. They are stuck on using a silicone adhesive. Next, we got messy with stain. I highly recommend using a gel stain, especially for cabinets. We used the stain for the cabinets and the crates.
Staining is messy! Also, don't hate me for wearing shorts. This was NOT during this absurdly cold winter we've been having. This was sometime in October. 
I am completely in love with the crate shelves. As I have said in a previous post, I have a love for crates. These crates were ordered on homedepot.com for about $12 each. However, sometimes you can get lucky and find them at WalMart, Michaels, or even at Home Depot. But at the time, no one had any in stock so I just ordered them. They work great as storage for the towels and toilet paper. Now the kids and guests no longer have to dig through cabinets or wonder if there's any extra TP. 
We also put up a curved shower curtain rod, a hand towel holder, a bath towel holder with hooks (sooo much better than a towel bar), and installed a new door handle. 

I am extremely pleased with the way it turned out. It's no longer boring and it is much more functional. 

Oh and the best part?

This entire facelift for this bathroom only cost us about $200.
Not bad when we went from this to that


Until next time, 
Be blessed! 
~ Amanda 

Questions or comments? 
Go ahead and ask or post! 

1 comment:

  1. How did you anchor the crate shelves ? I have a small bathroom and have limited space . I love these shelves !!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10 01 09 10